In line with its strategy of deploying the Firm's comprehensive range of resources in key emerging markets, Morgan Stanley today announced its intention to open an office in Istanbul, Turkey. The Firm has received the appropriate approvals from the Capital Markets Board (CMB) of Turkey and plans to open an office in early 2007.
"This is an important strategic step for Morgan Stanley", said Jonathan Chenevix-Trench, Chairman of Morgan Stanley International, "and it further demonstrates our commitment to this key growth market for the Firm. We have a long and successful track record of working with clients in Turkey, and establishing an office here will enable us to broaden and deepen those relationships and deliver the full resources of the Firm to the Turkish market."
Morgan Stanley has been active with clients in Turkey since 1990 and intends to offer a comprehensive range of business lines through its newly established presence, including investment banking, capital markets, sales and trading, real estate and commodities. In order to facilitate the establishment of an office, Morgan Stanley has acquired Arigil Menkul Degerler, a Turkish brokerage company, including its regulatory licences.
"As clients in Turkey demand sophisticated investment solutions across the range of asset classes, having local expertise and resources will be of significant benefit", said Gulnaz Aricanli, Head of Morgan Stanley in Turkey. "Turkey is a rapidly growing and strategically important market for the Firm and so to be involved in building and leading Morgan Stanley's business in Turkey is a great opportunity, and one with which I am excited to be associated."
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management, wealth management and credit services. The firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, institutions and individuals from more than 600 offices in 30 countries. For further information about Morgan Stanley, please visit www.morganstanley.com.
Morgan Stanley in Turkey
Morgan Stanley is the leading investment bank in Turkey and has provided uninterrupted investment banking coverage of the country since 1990.
- Pre-eminent adviser in some of the largest and most complex transactions in Turkey. Selected recent M&A transactions include:
- Advised Fiba Holding on sale of 46% stake in Finansbank to National Bank of Greece for $2.8Bn
- Advised Dogus Holding on sale of 25.5% stake in Garanti Bank to GE Consumer Finance for $1.8Bn
- Advisor to Telecom Italia, a shareholder in Oger Telecom together with Saudi Oger, in the acquisition of a 55% stake in Turk Telekom for $6.6Bn
- Currently advising OYAK Group on strategic alternatives for its holding in OYAK Bank
- #2 in Turkish Equity offerings (1997 to date). Selected transactions include:
- Acted as Joint bookrunner for Turkcell IPO, the largest IPO in Turkey to date with $1.7Bn equity offered
- Acted as lead adviser for Sabanci IPO
- Acted as lead adviser to Akbank for secondary offering
- Leader in Turkish debt financing and liability management solutions. Selected transactions include:
- Finansbank - 5 year bilateral secured loan
- Finansbank - $110MM Eurobond due March 2011 and $110MM Eurobond due March 2013
- Yasar - 7 year €119 MM loan
- Mey - currency hedging as part of an acquisition
- #1 in USD denominated debt issuance by the Republic of Turkey (1997 to date).
- #1 in Turkish equities trading by volume
- Leading Turkish economics and equities research analysts