The Firm has consolidated the resources below to help employees and their families in the event of a natural disaster in their area. Additional resources may become available if conditions worsen or state, local or federal governments declare your area of residence eligible for assistance from FEMA.
Note: Updates on office closings, re-openings and other information will be distributed using the Firm’s Rapid Notification System. Watch for phone calls from 615-514-0826 or texts from 893-61.
If you don’t find what you need here, please call your manager or email your HR Business Partners so we can understand how we can help.
* * *
Hurricane Henri and Ida Update (September 9, 2021) – Legal Assistance: Through the end of 2021, employees affected by Hurricanes Henri or Ida may consult with attorneys through the Firm’s legal plan (prior enrollment not required). Free services include:
- Reviewing documents related to federal aid and insurance claims
- Providing consultation for identity theft issues due to lost personal documents
- Answering questions about damaged property for renters or homeowners
- Providing advice on dealing with creditors and bill collectors
MetLife Emergency Response Legal Assistance: 800-821-6400
Note: Please identify yourself as a Morgan Stanley employee. You’ll be asked for the last four digits of your Social Security number.
* * *
Hurricane Ida Update (September 8, 2021) – Accessing 401(k) Funds: We recognize that some employees have experienced heavy losses to their principal residences due to Ida. If you live or work in a county identified in disaster areas as declared by the federal government, and participate in the Morgan Stanley Plan, you may be eligible for a loan and/or hardship withdrawal from your 401(k) Plan account, as described below.
E*TRADE and Eaton Vance employees: Similar options are available through your 401(k). For assistance, contact your 401(k) Plan administrator or your HR team.
- You may take a loan of up to 50% of your vested 401(k) Plan account balance, or $50,000, whichever is less. Loans are subject to a 5-year repayment period.
- If necessary, you may take a hardship withdrawal, generally up to the vested amount in your 401(k) Plan account.*
Important: Hardship withdrawals are subject to a 10% tax penalty unless you are at least age 59½. They may be used only to cover Hurricane Ida-related damage to your primary residence. They cannot be paid back to your 401(k) Plan account. Since taking a hardship withdrawal will negatively affect your long-term retirement savings, you may want to consider other options first.
* Any outstanding loan reduces the amount you may take as a hardship withdrawal because the principal amount of the loan is not available for a hardship withdrawal. Typically, your vested balance is available for a hardship withdrawal; however unvested matching contributions, fixed contributions, transition contributions and retirement contributions are not eligible for hardship withdrawals. For more information about the amounts available for withdrawal from your 401(k) Plan account, review the Summary Plan Description for the Morgan Stanley 401(k) Plan.
To view your options, log on to the Benefit Center website:
- Type benefits in your browser when connected to the Firm’s intranet; or
- Visit ms.com/benefits if you are not on the intranet
If you have questions regarding this notice, call HR Services at 877-MSHR-411 (674-7411), 9 am to 7 pm ET, M-F.
* * *
Make Sure the Firm Knows How to Contact You
Verify your emergency contact information (personal cell phone and email, home address – and an emergency contact’s contact information) in Workday.
Or, call HR Services at 1-877-674-7411. From the call menu, first say HR Systems, Payroll and Deferred Compensation, and then HR Systems, Transactions and Other Questions. Hours: 9 am and 7 pm ET, M‑F
The Federal Emergency Management Agency website – DisasterAssistance.gov – lists resources provided by the federal government, as well as local agencies and organizations. If you need to apply for disaster relief, doing so online at the above URL is the fastest way. If you do not have internet access, call 800-621-3362.
If you have immediate housing needs, please contact your manager. For help finding short-term housing, contact Ron Hauptmann at Nomad Temporary Housing: email@example.com | 866-282-4750.
Benefits Information and Contacts
MyBenefits.ms.com – Find information about the Firm’s medical, dental, vision and other benefits plans. Also, find a list of contact information by vendor (Cigna, UnitedHealthcare, Kaiser, Express Scripts, etc.). Note: Access the site from your phone or home computer – no password needed.
Tip: Don’t have your health care ID card or to access your account and coverage information? Download your providers’ mobile apps from the Apple App or Google Play store:
- Medical: Cigna (mycigna) | UnitedHealthcare (Health4me) | Kaiser
- Prescription Drug: Express Scripts
- Dental: MetLife | Delta Dental
- Vision: VSP
For questions about insurances you have elected through the Firm – homeowners, renters, auto, etc. – Call You Decide at 800-864-1539.
Benefits Advocates – For questions about your benefits – including what’s covered, finding in-network doctors, and billing and claims help – call 1-877-674-7411* between 8 am and 7 pm ET, M‑F – and say Benefits Advocates.
* Note: Employees’ spouses/domestic partners should call 800-555-7187.
Mental Health Services
Natural disasters can take a toll on both our physical and mental wellbeing. The Firm’s mental health benefit through Lyra covers free, confidential sessions with therapists and coaches for you, your spouse/partner and children under age 26. Providers can help if you’re stressed, anxious, depressed or having problems sleeping – or want to talk about life issues like illness or loss, or legal or financial concerns.
- 24/7 support: 844-926-2648
- Schedule an appointment – often as soon as the next day: https://morganstanley.lyrahealth.com
- Tips to Cope in Response to a Natural Disaster
Additionally, Headspace, the meditation app, is available to all employees. Create your free account using your Firm email address at work.headspace.com/morganstanleyamericas/member-enroll.
The Firm has arranged for experts to review employees’ insurance policies (home, renter’s, flood, auto, etc.) and provide guidance in filing claims. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial and Legal Support
Lyra Health offers these confidential services, at no cost, to assist you and your family during these challenging times:
- Legal – 30-minute consultation with an attorney or mediator, and access to 24-hour emergency support
- Financial – 30-minute consultation with a financial counselor, and a 30-minute consultation with a CPA
- Identity theft – 60-minute consultation with a fraud resolution specialist, and an identification emergency response kit
To learn more, call or visit Lyra: 844-926-2648 | https://morganstanley.lyrahealth.com/worklife
Backup Child and Adult Care
For help finding backup child or adult care, contact Bright Horizons who will try to connect you with local caregivers. And if they are unable to secure you care, you are eligible to receive a reimbursement stipend to use toward the cost of hiring a caregiver within your own network, such as a relative, babysitter or friend. Important: To qualify for a stipend for care found on your own, you must contact Bright Horizons and be pre-approved before securing care. You will receive reimbursement forms at that time. Any use of this program will count toward your allotted number of annual family support days through Bright Horizons.
Bright Horizon care consultants are available 24/7: 1-877-BH-CARES (242-2737)
Employees and their dependents enrolled in the Firm’s vision plan who have lost or broken their eyewear or need eye care services due to a natural disaster, can call VSP at 800-877-7195 to have their VSP benefits reinstated – regardless of eligibility.
Additionally, if you (or anyone you know) is not a VSP member and needs to replace eyewear that was lost or damaged due to a disaster, VSP and the Red Cross can help. To learn more about the no-cost glasses program, contact the local American Red Cross or call 800-RED-CROSS (800-733-2767) to request a VSP Eyes of Hope® gift certificate to use at a local VSP network doctor’s office.
For updates about relief efforts, visit disaster.vsp.com.
Car Rental Discounts
If you need temporary transportation, use the Firm’s rental car discount codes:
- Avis: D015790
- Budget: U264503
- Enterprise and National: XZ24MS2
- Hertz: 1806667
- Thrifty: LST14
The Perks at Work site has discounts from over 30,000 vendors. Create an account using your Morgan Stanley email address.