Morgan Stanley (NYSE:MS) announced today that Francis P. Barron, 59, a partner at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP, will join the Firm as Chief Legal Officer, succeeding Gary G. Lynch who will remain a Vice Chairman for Morgan Stanley based in London. Mr. Barron will report to President and CEO James P. Gorman and be based in New York. He will also join the Firm's Operating and Management Committees.
Additionally, Morgan Stanley announced that Eric F. Grossman, 43, who is General Counsel of the Americas, Global Head of Litigation and General Counsel of Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, has been appointed to Morgan Stanley's Management Committee.
Mr. Gorman commented, "Frank Barron has been a well respected advisor to boards and senior managements on critical issues, particularly in financial services, for over 30 years. We look forward to benefiting from Frank's advice and wisdom, and we are very pleased he is joining our senior management team. We are also pleased to add Eric Grossman to the Management Committee. Eric has made extraordinary contributions to the Firm since joining in 2006."
Mr. Barron, incoming Chief Legal Officer, said, "I am very excited to be joining a firm with the history and stature of Morgan Stanley, and to become part of the experienced and talented senior management team that James Gorman has assembled. I look forward to helping the firm navigate the challenges facing the financial services industry today."
As previously announced, Mr. Lynch, Morgan Stanley's former Chief Legal Officer, will remain based in London as a Vice Chairman who will continue to be focused on firm management and his responsibilities as a board member of Morgan Stanley's European subsidiaries, and continue to interface with our major global regulators and key international clients.
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, institutions and individuals from more than 1,300 offices in 42 countries. For further information about Morgan Stanley, please visit www.morganstanley.com.
Note to Editors:
Francis P. Barron
- Joined Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP in 1978 and became a partner in 1985
- Practice focused on providing advice and litigation services related to antitrust and securities, significant arbitration matters (including international arbitration), SEC, FTC, Antitrust Division and state regulatory matters, and a wide range of commercial litigation, including mergers and acquisition-related litigation
- Member of the Corporate Governance and Board Advisory group, counseling boards of directors, board committees and senior management in connection with investigations, governance issues and special situations
- Clients have included Salomon Smith Barney, Citigroup Inc., PricewaterhouseCoopers, Nestlé S.A., PaineWebber, The General Electric Company, p.l.c., CBS Inc., Texaco Inc., Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Cummins Engine Company, Vitro S.A., Ticketmaster Group Inc., Lucent Technologies, Tyco International, UBS AG, DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc., Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, General Reinsurance Co. and Affiliated Computer Services, Inc.
- Selected by Lawdragon as one of 500 leading lawyers in America from 2007 through 2009/2010 and was named to its list of 100 Lawyers You Need to Know in Securities Litigation in 2008
- Received the highest national ranking for his general commercial work and named a "Local Litigation Star" for the New York area by Benchmark Litigation 2009 and 2010
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America 2009 and 2010 as a leader in "Bet-the-Company" litigation, commercial litigation, corporate governance and compliance law and ranked by PLC's Which Lawyer? as Highly Recommended in dispute resolution. Recognized by The Legal 500 for his work in trade secrets litigation
- A.B. summa cum laude from Harvard College in 1973
- J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1978, where he was an editor of the Journal on Legislation
- Born in Boston, Massachusetts
Media Relations Contact:
Jeanmarie McFadden, 212.761.2433
Mark Lake, 212.761.2430